Home renovations and remodeling can produce large amounts of garbage and rubbish that may not be allowed in your city’s residential garbage collection and they may be items that can be recycled or reused.
Consider recycling or reuse for these types of items:
- Appliances: Appliances are accepted for recycling at the Scott Area Landfill for a $5.00 per appliance fee. Some cities collect appliances at the curb. Get instructions specific to your city by searching for the item you'd like to dispose of here. Refrigerators, stoves, washers and dryers in new or excellent condition are accepted at the local Habitat ReStore.
- Building materials: Select building materials in good condition are accepted for reuse through the local Habitat ReStore.
- Cardboard: Cardboard should be flattened and kept separate from other garbage. It can be collected through your curbside recycling program if it is cut to size. (Search for cardboard under your address for guidelines.) Cardboard can also be taken to one of the five drop-off recycling locations throughout Scott County at no charge. If you are bringing other debris to the Scott Area Landfill for disposal, cardboard will be accepted there at no charge if it is separated.
- Concrete: Small pieces of broken concrete are accepted at the Scott Area Landfill for a fee. Call 563-381-1300 for more information. Large pieces of concrete may be accepted at Mackey Construction in Eldridge, 563-285-9838 or Tri City Blacktop in Bettendorf, 563-359-3491. Please call prior to delivery.
- Home furnishings: Select home furnishings in good condition are accepted for reuse through the local Habitat ReStore.
- Metal: All types of metal, if separated from the rest of your load, can be disposed of at no charge at the Scott Area Landfill.
- Shingles: Clean loads of shingles, free from other debris, are accepted for recycling at the Scott Area Landfill for a reduced tipping fee. Call 563-381-1300 for more information and instructions.
It may be necessary to rent a dumpster or roll-off for your project. For options, see “Garbage and Rubbish Removal” in the phonebook.